Sunday, September 18, 2016

Middle School Ain't So Terrifying Anymore

With a week of introductions to ourselves, classroom expectations, and general school procedures behind us, the second week of classes much more normality and familiarity to what middle school education looks like. As the responsibilities being handed to me were growing (first copies, attendance, and checking homework and now those plus discussing a daily practice problem and leading some classroom activities and lessons), so did my passion for teaching and my affirmation for going into the field! There was just something so natural and so right to being up in front of the classroom; many joys and challenges came from it, and I definitely continue to grow each and every day as an educator through both of them.

Teaching to Relieve an Itch
A first happened this week: teaching a lesson in its entirety.



This is something I have looking forward to for a long time as my itch to teach has been being scratched for years now. On Wednesday, I was able to co-teach a lesson on multiplying and dividing real numbers for Algebra 1 students. Then, on Thursday, I co-taught that same lesson adapted for Math 8/Pre-Algebra students twice and then solo taught a lesson on absolute value and opposites for Algebra 1. You could say my itch was satisfied.Generally speaking, each of the lessons went really well! There was not a moment of panic in any of the lessons and it seemed as though the students understood what was going on. Granted, these lessons were already created by my cooperating teacher and the content was review; however, having this set-up be there for my first experience as a teacher was definitely welcomed. It allowed me to focus more on the pacing and the management side of teaching.

With the first hour Math 8 class, it has been noticed that it feels like they have less time than the same class second hour to cover the same material. In this lesson, this meant that second hour was able to make it to and through a study of application, real-world problems whereas first hour had no time to even begin studying them. It truly feels like there is a ten-minute bonus in second hour. This observation has definitely caused me to think about how each class, despite being called the same thing, can be very, very different. I have yet to determine the cause for this (students, having run the lesson already, beginning of the day duties taking more time than anticipated, etc.), but it is forcing me to think about what my response to this should be as a teacher. Should I plan for the amount of time in first hour and then give second hour an additional activity that extends the content? Would that be unfair to the students in first hour who would benefit from the extension? Should first hour become a little faster paced so that each hour does the same activities as a whole? Is that a disservice to students in first hour? There is a lot to consider and I have not formed a conclusion that serves the students best. Thoughts on the matter are definitely welcomed!

Prior Proper Planning Provides Power
Given this predicament, I have grown fond of these tubs.


What a time saver that gives students so much power! With the students creating their own interactive math notebook that serves as their textbook, having resources such as glue and highlighters at their disposal has definitely been a blessing. It creates organization and normalization for students so that having the materials on the desk are not distracted by their presence, gives students materials they need to succeed, and allows for efficiency to be even more present in the classroom. The latter is important as we only have 45-minute periods. Those extra minutes saved from passing out the materials daily are crucial, and I am so happy that they can be devoted to content. They definitely provided these benefits and were extremely helpful during the lessons I facilitated. Use of tubs will definitely be a part of my future classroom!

Not Just a Teacher
One my goals for the semester is to better know my students so that I can better serve them. This past week, I was able to form what I thought were connections with a few of the students. Its affirming that these students are wanting to see you as more than a teacher, and I cannot wait to see what more relationship building I can do this week. Breakthroughs can happen when students are able to see you as more than someone who delivers content. In fact, as one of my fellow teacher assistants put it, "students wont care what you know until they know you care."


I think this statement is true, and that means I have a lot of work to do. Not only does it mean I would like to make lessons that show I care for each students' learning, it also means that I should be striving to get to know the students' lives and create a sense of trust with them. I'm ready to take on that challenge, starting with week 3 tomorrow! 

These experiences have shown me just how much middle school does not have to be a scary place anymore--both as a teacher and as a student. I used to want to avoid it at all costs, but now that I have have been immersed over the past year, I cannot wait to see how further immersion will help me become a better teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment